VERNON – Local politicians want the federal government to clear up confusion about the legality of medical marijuana. Vernon council was approached by a local dispensary last month about working collaboratively on regulating access centres, but says at this point, it’s not up to local governments. “We’ve been put in a very difficult position,” Coun. Juliette Cunningham says. Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has promised to legalize marijuana, but until the details are spelled out, Cunningham says municipalities and police detachments are caught in the middle. Under current legislation, medical marijuana dispensaries are not condoned under the Controlled Drugs and Substances...Read More
It was a watershed moment for the study of medical marijuana. This past December, Canadian university researchers, federal and provincial officials, patient advocates and industry representatives met in Vancouver to set priorities for evidence-based inquiries into a drug long overshadowed by its reputation as an illegal way to get high. The two-day, invitation-only meeting – convened by the Arthritis Society and partly funded by licensed growers of cannabis for medical purposes – is the latest sign that investigations of medical cannabis are moving into the research mainstream. So, is the stigma lifting on the potential therapeutic value of a...Read More
Medical Marijuana In The Headlines
- Medical marijuana use linked to lower prescription drug use
- Ontarians not sold on LCBO weed sales, poll shows
- ‘Worry About Bad Marijuana — Not Big Marijuana,’ Says D.C. Think Tank
- WDGPH discusses federal legalization of marijuana
- Marijuana task force to be led by former deputy PM Anne McLellan
- Where Are the Oils?
- Can Cannabis Users Donate Blood?
- Dispensaries and the Evolution of Enforcement: A History of Failure
- Sun Life first insurer to stop treating pot users as smokers as marijuana increasingly accepted as a medicine
- Ottawa is to blame for Canadians’ confusion over marijuana